Requirement for Health & Care Worker

JAAN Services are recruiting senior care workers inline with Skilled worker visa published by UK government. The following requirements are considered during recruitment and selections process.

The ability to speak English to the required minimum level, and providing proof of that ability where required, can often pose the biggest challenge for applicants under the Health and Care Worker visa route. Unless the applicant is a national from a majority English-speaking country, prospective social care recruits from overseas must be able to prove that they can speak, understand, read and write English to level B1 on the CEFR scale, otherwise known as the Common European Framework of Reference for Language scale.

However, an applicant can prove their knowledge of English by either:

  • passing a SELT, or Secure English Language Test, from an approved provider
  • obtaining a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification (either level 4 or 5), Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study at a UK school when aged under 18
  • having an academic degree-level qualification that was taught in English, although if they studied abroad, they’ll need to apply through Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) for confirmation that their qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s or master’s degree, or a PhD.

The applicant will not need to prove their knowledge of English if they’re a national from a majority English-speaking country, including Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; Malta; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; Zimbabwe and the USA.

Applicant have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)(JAAN Services will provide CoS) for an eligible job role issued by a Home Office approved employer authorised to sponsor the job in question. Under SOC Code 6145, the applicant must be hired to attend to the personal care needs and comforts of service users within residential and daycare establishments, or in their own homes, including the elderly and infirm. There are no academic entry requirements for these jobs, although workers must typically be 18 years old and have some experience of working in a care environment;

Meet the maintenance requirement, where they must be able to support themselves on their arrival in the UK. This requires proof of funds of £1,270, where the applicant will need to have had the money available in their bank account for at least 28 days in a row, and day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for the visa. Alternatively, the applicant must have confirmation from you, on their CoS, that you’ll cover their costs during their first month;

As background checks, including a DBS check, are likely to be required for care staff roles, your prospective new recruit will need a criminal record certificate from their current country of residence. They may also need tuberculosis test results if they’re from a listed country.

Health & Care Worker visa application process 

Individuals applying for the Health and Care Worker visa will need to apply using the normal Skilled Worker application form and, checking the box to confirm they’re applying for this subcategory of visa. They’ll need to apply online, and within 3 months of getting their CoS. A CoS is a unique reference number that must be submitted as part of the visa application, along with proof of identity and other relevant supporting documentation.

Skilled Worker visa applicants whose job is in a shortage occupation benefit from reduced application fees. The Health and Care Worker subcategory offers a further 50% fee reduction. The standard fee to apply for this category of visa is £232 for those wishing to work in the UK for up to 3 years, and £464 for those staying for more than 3 years.

Health and Care Worker visa applicants also benefit from an exemption from the Immigration Health Surcharge — the fee to use the NHS — as well as a speedier decision following submission of their application. Most decisions will be processed within 3 weeks from the date that the applicant’s biometrics are taken or identity is scanned.

If the application is successful, as with other applicants under the Health and Care Worker visa, social care workers will be able to move to the UK with dependents, including any partner and children, provided these individuals are also eligible. For example, they must be able to show proof of funds to support themselves on their arrival. The applicant would need £285 for their partner, £315 for one child and £200 for each additional child, in addition to their own maintenance funds unless you, as the UK sponsor, will also cover the family’s costs.

The visa fee reduction applies to partners and dependents of Health and Care visa applicants.





Grosvener House
8th Floor, Corby
NN17 1QG

01536 333 222


Contact Us